Pollo alla parmigiana is an Italian recipe also known as Chicken Parmigiana (or Parmesan) and another great classic. Delicious crispy coating in layers of the best tomato sauce and baked covered in mozzarella that melts and bubbles away with the sauce!
We love comfort food especially in cold weather who doesn't? Some recent comfort food recipes on my blog are;
When it comes to chicken recipes you can never have enough. The more the better actually because chicken is so versatile and you can interchange chicken breasts to thighs, make it creamy, vegetarian or grilled. The convenience is what you need and that's why you need all the chicken recipes.
Ingredients For Chicken Parmigiana
The ingredients are few and all pantry staples. For the sauce you can use store-bought however if you want added flavor I have the best marinara (tomato) sauce recipe for you. This is what you'll need:
- Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
How To Make Chicken Parmigiana
A homemade Chicken Parmigiano that makes the best family chicken dinner with easy to follow steps:
- Prep the chicken: Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise and if necessary use a meat mallet to get them the same size. See full recipe card below.
- Set up your dredging station: This where you will set up your bowls of flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Fry: Sauté the chicken fillets in oil for about 3 minutes each side or till golden brown
- Sauce: Layer with marinara sauce (tomato sauce)
- Bake: Bake till golden and the cheese has melted, cool, garnish, serve.
The steps are not only easy they also incredibly tasty and inviting. You can see the delicious flavors come together. Each step guarantees the best Chicken Parmesan you've ever tasted!
Breading Station For The Chicken
My breading station consists of wide enough and flat plates or bowls with each playing as important a role to the final crispy chicken fillet:
Flour - Add the flour into the 1st bowl with salt and pepper to taste and I always like adding finely chopped parsley, optional.
Eggs - Add the eggs into the 2nd bowl and beat those up nice and fluffy.
Breadcrumbs and Parmesan Cheese - Add these two ingredients into the 3rd bowl and use your fingers to give them a good mix.
A Few Tips!
Every recipe needs a few tips that will help you make the best meal for your family;
If you can't find Italian breadcrumbs which are the best for breading but as difficult to find especially dependent on where you're situated. Remember that any breadcrumbs that you have will work! My personal suggestion is to try and make your own because you add what you want, they are more fresh and the chicken fillets have incredible texture and crispiness to them.
Marinara Sauce (Tomato Sauce)
You are free to use your favorite store-bought sauce but please if you really want the utmost in freshness and taste you simply must make this marinara sauce because it's the best!
How can your food not taste amazing with this sauce?
This recipe goes by so many names;
Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Parmigiana, Pollo alla Parmigiana (in Italian) and I'm sure there are many more but no matter what you call it, make it! It's a really delicious dish that can served alone or with sides, see some options below. And to all the bread lovers you know that you have dunk real good crusty bread into that amazing sauce!
Making Chicken Parmigiana Ahead
You can make this ahead as I have but I don't layer it however feel free to layer, cover and refrigerate. When you're ready to bake add on the cooking time because it's now chilled no longer room temperature. Use a kitchen instant- read thermometer to check that the chicken is properly cooked, the thermometer should read 74°C to be safe to eat and all the bacteria is killed.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
There's nothing quite like a really tasty chicken dinner but also one that won't take much time. Here are some that we enjoy:
Classic Chicken Parmesan (Chicken Parmigiana)
For The Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 8 fillets
- 1 Tbsp. Chicken Seasoning 13 Spice
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil for cooking or vegetable oil
For The Flour Bowl
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 Tsps. finely chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
For The Egg Bowl
- 3 eggs beaten well
For The Breadcrumb Bowl
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
Marinara Sauce/Tomato Sauce
- 3 cups tomato/marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley for optional garnish with the basil.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 210 degrees C.
- Chicken Prep: Slice the chicken lengthwise in half so that you end up with 2 chicken breasts from one. You will end up with 8 equally cut chicken fillets from this recipe. Season generously with chicken spice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Combine the flour bowl ingredients: 1 cup flour, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and 2 teaspoons of finely chopped Italian parsley.
- Egg bowl: Beat the 3 eggs till nice and fluffy.
- Breadcrumb bowl: Combine 1 cup of breadcrumbs and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. See notes below on breadcrumbs
Layering and Baking
- Dredge each breast in flour, tap off any excess then dip in the egg and let the access drip off then dredge on both sides in the cheese and breadcrumbs mix. If necessary use your fingers to make sure that it has a good coating of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Heat a large non stick pan with the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. If you need to add another tablespoon of oil, please do so. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken in with as many as the pan can take, do not overcrowd the pan, If only 2 cutlets at a time fit, then make them 2 at a time.
- You are sautéing the chicken cutlets so about 3 minutes per side should be sufficient or until they turn a light golden brown.
- Spread about 1 ½ soup ladles of tomato sauce to the bottom of an oven baking dish (See Notes below on the size) Lay the first row of chicken fillets down on the sauce in a line not overlapping if you can help it. Top each chicken with marinara sauce followed by mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered on the middle rack of your oven on 210 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly, usually 15 to 18 minutes is more than enough. Garnish with basil and finely chopped parsley if you want.