Tasty cheesy oven baked meatballs without breadcrumbs, onion or garlic, made with just 5 ingredients and if you're not counting the seasoning and spices that makes it 3 KEY ingredients!
These meatballs are made with pork mince, egg and cheese because really that's all they need. That means that they are also low carb without the breadcrumbs unlike this Italian Meatballs Pasta Bake. Both are amazing just different recipes based on what you're using them for, how much time you have etc.
They are neatly put together without any bits of meat falling off. Oven baked, turn the oven tray once to cook the opposite side and that's really it! Once they're a light golden brown it's time for them to come out so you can add the sauce.
These cheesy meatballs finish cooking in the oven with the sauce till a deep golden brown while the sauce thickens and the cheese melts into an oblivious state of deliciousness! The best cheesy meatballs recipe!
You only need 3 key ingredients and the meatballs are oven baked because in all honesty I don't know when last I fried anything! We love slow roasts, salads and pasta dishes but frying is not a thing for us.
You can find the full recipe card below but here's some helpful suggestions.
For the meatballs
I've used just pork mince for the meatballs but you can use beef mince too. In the recipe Saucy Meatball Pasta - Italian South African Recipe I used part pork and part lean beef mince if you take a look that recipe.
Salt and Pepper Seasoning
Our premixed fresh black pepper and Himalayan salt is our kitchen essential for everything. A generous amount is necessary however over salting can also leave you with salty meatballs????
Fresh 100% natural spices are a God send to both your health and the taste of your food, taking it from bland to simply fabulous! Use them. Online store.
Both parmesan and mature cheddar were used here but one type of cheese is just as good so whatever you prefer. Make sure you grate the cheese and not buy it pre-grated.
This no onion sauce is even easier than the 3 Ingredient Meatballs recipe and it takes 10 mintues.
I use canned purely for convenience. If you like fresh go for it especially if they're on the vine that looks so pretty! Personally I love using them in this recipe especially when they're fresh and plump with juices that don't stop giving! However for convenience a good canned tomatoes is priceless.
A couple of fresh garlic cloves minced for some distinct flavor. Use less of you like.
Fresh spices like this garlic and herb.
A pinch goes a long way.
The beauty of this recipe is that the ingredients are so few but the taste is impressively delicious! Here are some helpful tips to help you make them.
Choose pork mince it has so much more flavor and if you're combining with beef mince then definitely not extra lean mince!
For easy clean up and no sticking to the pan, a sheet of foil covering the pan and a little cooking spray makes a big difference.
A few minutes to mix, shape and gently place them into the tray to bake.
Mix and shape the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Feel free to use your hands. I'm 100% in agreement that it's the best way to mix but is not necessary in this recipe. For this 3 ingredient recipe a fork does a marvelous job. Once mixed use an ice-cream scoop. Fill the ice cream scoop and gently lay them onto the foil lined tray. Once done damp your hands in water and start rolling each one into a circle.
Bake 190 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Turn the tray around so they cook on the opposite side and continue baking for another 5 minutes.
You will find that they are soft and juicy! Don't over bake remember they cook in the sauce too.
Sauce Pour the cooked sauce over the meatballs.
Cheese Add grated cheese and return to the oven for a couple minutes for the cheese to melt down and the sauce to soak up the meatballs. Turn the heat to grill in the last 5 minutes and watch them!
- Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Lasagna Rigatoni Pasta Bake
- Italian Meatballs Pasta Bake
- Tuna and Spinach Pasta Bake Recipe
Cheesy Oven Baked Meatballs in Sauce
- 500 grams pork mince 1st key ingredient
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese or a mix of both parmesan and mozzarella. Freshly grated 2nd key ingredient
- 1 egg 3rd key ingredient
- vegetable spice from Smell and Taste
- meat salt seasoning from Smell and Taste
- Preheat the oven on 190 degrees Celsius, rack one lower the middle.
- Line a baking tray large enough to hold the meatballs (approximately 12 to 15) with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the meat, seasoning and spices, egg and cheese. Use a fork to combine the ingredients.
- Use an ice cream scoop and scoop the meat scraping off any spillage. You want the scoop to take what it can handle and more or less all the same but please don't over think it!
- Have a bowl of water next to you, dip your hands, give them a shake and start shaping each round into a ball by placing the meat ball in the middle of both your hands, roll and shape. Place them onto the baking tray with a good distance apart.
- Place the meat rounds onto the foil lined tray until all the meat has been used up.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the tray so that they can bake on the opposite side of the tray and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the foil after 5 minutes to a bowl to cool down while you remove and discard the foil but before you do, drizzle all that oil on the paper over the meatballs.
- Place the meatballs into an oven safe dish, pour tomato sauce over them, more cheese and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parmesan, greens and serve.