This smashed creamy chickpeas with lemon and tahini takes less than 10 minutes to prepare delicious with toast or on it's own! I don't know what else to tell you except that you should make it because it's not only a toast topping or for sandwiches it's also great as a side dish!
After I made this Smashed Chickpeas and Harissa I knew I needed this one with tahini. Why not? When you craving some chickpea hummus with a difference give this a try.
Creamy without cream, crunchy, fresh, citrusy and mouth wateringly delicious!
Use a potato masher or a fork to get your chickpeas all mushy and add a small drizzle of olive oil to help keep them from drying out. Now you can get started of chopping up a few of your favorite things.
Making this recipe is quick, easy and extremely versatile so work with the ingredients, work with what you have and let's get creative. My motto in the kitchen has always been;
- to have fun
- be creative
- and most importantly work with you have
Rather than waiting for the perfect moment because those don't exist in any area of life. Food, work, relationships, health, friends and everything else.
So what happens if you want to make this tonight (or right now) but you don't have chickpeas? Let's do a comparison:
- Chickpeas - any other beans; cannellini, red kidney, black beans etc.
What's the substitute for mustard? I love all mustard types so am never without it however here are some tips and suggestions for you. Besides horseradish because that would be the perfect substitute but not everyone's ideal.
- Mustard - the basic 3 mustards are yellow, brown and black.
Let me break it down a little more for you quickly:
- Dijon mustard - a classic French mustard a bit more 'upmarket' and is made with white wine
- Yellow Mustard - Turmeric is added to make it yellow which is the English mustard
- Wholegrain Mustard - a bit more intense in taste
Mustard is made from mustard seeds yellow, brown and black. There are a couple of ingredients used including ground mustards seeds, sugar, vinegar and spices so think around that if you are wanting to recreate something or make your own.
Tahini - If you don't have tahini then first consider if you have sesame seeds because you can make your own tahini. 3 Ingredient Home-Made Tahini Recipe
Otherwise nut butters like cashew butter, almond butter and if you don't have any of those mmmm...it might be a little challenge. I might use peanut butter but wont advice as yet 🙂
Although delicious on crunchy toasted bread these creamy chickpeas are equally fabulous on their own. I added little bits of red bell peppers which gave it so much bite, a little sweetness, crunch and color.
You can use this chickpea recipe with leafy greens on sandwiches and don't be shy with the fresh herbs mix them up! Serve it on the side with fish or meat. Slice some chicken and include it as a salad or a filler, serve it on couscous or on a bed of roasted vegetables. Chicken rotisserie for convenience.
What do you think? Do you love it? Let me know in the comments below I would love to hear how you used it!
- 3 Ingredient Home-Made Tahini Recipe
- Mediterranean Salad
- Basil Pesto Recipe
- Quick and Easy Chickpea Hummus Recipe
I hope that you have enjoyed this Oven Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe! Give it a try @anosmickitchen #anosmickitchen If you try this recipe be sure to leave me a comment and rating below! Thank you.
Creamy Smashed Chickpeas
- 400 grams chickpeas discard liquid and mash
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small chili pepper deseeded and sliced
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Tahini
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small fresh lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- your favorite seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Prop all the ingredients, cut and chop.
- Pour the chickpeas into a large bowl and use a masher or fork to mash them as mush or little as you like.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil just to give it a chickpeas some flavor.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients including the lemon, tahini and mustard. Use a fork to combine so you don't mush everything together, keep it light and keep some of the texture.
- Season and taste as you go and finish with lemon and salt.