This Mango Salad With Chili and Lime is a burst of freshness and beautiful summer colors. Tossed in Vegetable Spice, a touch of Calabrese and a drizzle of olive oil, it will brighten up any dish. Ready in under 15 minutes!
Reportedly our hottest summer ever in South Africa with some days being the hottest in the world, so crazy! The smart thing to eat besides packing up on water is a salad. Light fresh, no cooking so yes please on hot summer days.
Mangos are seasonal right now so that was an easy choice. Getting the salad together takes a few minutes and you can make it your own in terms of greens. Here I went with baby spinach and fresh cucumber which seemed fitting along with what fresh herbs were readily available. In this case it was basil, mint and little chives although you could go with fresh parsley, dill or something you prefer.
Loving my fresh herbs especially the chives with the gorgeous flowers, so pretty. If you don't have chives planted do yourself a favor and plant them! They grow easily, both the leaves and blossoms can be eaten and they are so versatile.
Better than paying for them and being rushed into using them before they wilt away 🙁 unless dried or frozen.
The purple more mauve color flower which is edible has a light onion flavor and you can use chives in salads, eggs, dips, soups or as garnish. Using them adds such a brightness of creativity to a simple salad and you can use them as whole or separate them into little florets. A good idea is some florets in the salad (not many) and one for garnish.
Chives are from the onion family and are closely related to leeks, onions, garlic and shallots. I also don't like chopping them up too fine, I really do like to garnish with the whole long chives on top of the salad. A few chopped in the salad are fine, the rest of it needs to be seen for the beauty that it is.
The ingredients that you could use to make a mango salad are endless. The best part being that the mango adds such freshness and texture to the salad besides it's vibrancy. It holds up well without getting all mushy and lost in the other ingredients. You can go from adding red onion and carrots to blueberries and plums! As they say, the world is your oyster so use what you have and what works for your family.
Best Served With
From fish and chicken to meat mains this mango salad with chili and lime goes splendidly with any. Chicken however seems to the best choice with this salad so go on and try these: Grilled Chicken Breast, How To Make Spicy (Garlic Free) Roast Chicken and Spicy Spatchcock Chicken Recipe. Even a rotisserie chicken is delicious with this mango salad.
More Summer Salads
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Shop our online store for quality all natural spices.
- 1 mango, peel and slice or chop as preferred
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ cucumber, cubed, diagonal anything.
- 2 Tbsps. fresh mint (roughly chop or pull apart)
- 2 Tbsps. fresh basil, pull apart
- ½ teaspoon Smell and Taste Vegetable Spice
- ⅛th teaspoon Smell and Taste Calabrese Spice
- ¼ teaspoon Smell and Taste Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Drizzle of olive oil
Optional Extra When Serving
- Fresh Mozzarella
- lime or lemon juice extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper vegetable spice
- chili spice
- Add the mango slices or cubes onto a platter or salad bowl followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Use your clean hands to give it a quick rough mix. Finish with seasoning and spice, fresh lime squeeze plus zest, a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt.
- Optional before serving is fresh mozzarella.